For my second ever cupcake commission I was asked to do something entirely different from the first. In fact, this was something that took me away from my comfort zone and tested my skills. I’m not very confident in my decorating skills but this was something that was all about the decorating.
This is what I ended up with:
I was asked to make Flying Spaghetti Monster cupcakes. The sponge is honey and spice flavoured. I wanted something that would look a little bit like sauce. The icing is just simple vanilla buttercream.
I am very happy with how they turned out. I think I did a good job, not to blow my own trumpet or anything. To say I wasn’t confident I think they turned out well. The person I made them for was extremely happy and that’s all that matters .
Sometimes I just fancy baking something delicious and a little bit special for no reason whatsoever. A few weeks back, this is what I came up with:
I used orange zest and juice from the same orange in the sponge. I then filled the cakes with a white chocolate and cream mix. I finished off with orange flavoured butter cream. I used flavouring because I figured using the juice would make it too runny.
But they turned out perfect.
One day I decided I wanted to make something that looked really good.
I found the idea on this post over at rufflesandstuff. It is so simple to make, but it looks super effective so I wanted to try it for myself. I went to a local charity book shop and looked for the prettiest book I could find. I ended up with The Silmarillion by Tolkien. I felt quite bad about that, but it had such a beautiful cover.
I followed the instructions on the post. The only thing I would change is to make the hole in the cover after fitting the mechanism in. I found I was a little bit out so I had to extend the hole.
But it looks brilliant. I’m so happy with the result.
Though I now need to figure out what to do with these:
Laptop problems have meant I’ve not been able to post for a while. But while I’ve been down I’ve been baking and making away.
I have made these ones twice since I last posted. Once was for a Valentines Day gift and then again as a Mothers Day present.
The ones in the picture were for Mothers Day.
These are so simple to make but have the most amazing taste. They’re a burst of chocolate. They were made even more delicious because I used orange flavoured chocolate, which is the best chocolate taste ever.
I think I’m going to be making these many more times.
This not only marks my first go at vegan cupcakes but they are also the first cupcakes I’ve been commissioned for. Whoop!
They were actually very easy to make. I used oil and soya milk in place of the butter and eggs.
I’m not quite sure they look very appetising here. I used margarine for the buttercream but it turned out very yellow. I decided to put a lot of purple in to mask it. Not sure it was much better.
I am assured that they were very delicious and the person I made them for was very happy. So I am very happy.
This a little late as Christmas has already been and gone but I wanted to share this cupcake selection box I made for presents.
From left to right these are: red velvet, white chocolate and orange and honey and spice.
They went down very well and all tasted very delicious.
So I’d been thinking what to get my boyfriend for his birthday for a long time. Nothing seemed right until I saw this post on A Beautiful Mess.
It’s DIY. Jay loves tea. It was perfect.
Of course I went a step further and made a box to put all the tea bags in.
I used Apple Tea, bought from my favourite tea shop, as it’s Jay’s favourite.
I was too lazy to look at the post at the time I actually made it so I did it all from memory, which I think worked out better because it meant I could put my own touches to it.
Every teabag was hand-stitched. It was quite time consuming but I found it was nice to do as I watched TV. They turned out great and really had that home-made look.
I made 17 in all. I am so happy how they turned out.
I made a robot :D
This was part of Jay’s birthday present. He’s made from felt and stuffed with polyester stuffing. I’m quite proud of him. After my initial plan failed I quickly sketched out a design, cut out the pieces and sew them together. As my first ever felt project I think it went very well.
Afterwards, I couldn’t resist putting him in the tree for a quick snap.
His current function is to protect the TV.
I intended to make these for Hollowe’en but I ended up making them the week after. Just in time for bonfire night. Not that I need an excuse to make cakes but I do like having a theme to work with.
These ended up being very delicious. I used Bramely cooking apples this time round. I added them chopped up in the batter along with pieces of toffee.
For the topping I sliced up the rest of the apple and made my own toffee mixture (with lots of red food colouring for that extra blood effect) and just poured it over the top. The icing is just simple vanilla buttercream.
I decided I wanted to make something nice for my boyfriend and there is nothing more special than a cake in a jar.
Because my boyfriend loves apples there was only one flavour I could go for.
This was a bit of an experiment. I choppred up pieces of apple (Golden Delicious was all I had on hand) to add to the mixture and added a drop of apple juice to the mixture and to the buttercream. The result was fairly successful. It tasted delicious but not with the apple flavour I was hoping for, as it wasn’t very strong.
But it went down well anyway :D
I made the rest of the mixture into cakes